Oct 22, 2011

my knew knitting obsession

I don't think I've ever mentioned it, but yes, I know how to knit.  I first learned a few years ago when I was in college, and had actual free time (in between classes and work) to learn.  I made a few scarves which I gave away as Christmas gifts, and (a little too ambitiously) started a sweater for Blake which I have yet to finish.  I got busy with wedding planning, and stopped knitting.

But with Autumn approaching, I wanted a pretty scarf that would compliment most of the clothes in my Fall wardrobe.  So I decided to knit one.  I took a trip to my favorite knitting shop, Knits by Nana (where I first learned to knit) and picked out some really pretty (kind of expensive) yarn.  And it took me a few weeks, but I finished!



So then a few weeks ago, I came across this blog post and was inspired.  I'd never knit a hat before, and this was just. too. cute.  I took a trip to the Franklin Walmart to see if they sold yarn.  There wasn't much of a selection, but I did manage to find some cheap orange and green yarn.  Here's the progress (I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, they were taken with my phone):



And this was the result:


I'm extremely proud of myself for making this because I didn't know how.  I knew basic stitches, but when it came to decreasing and making the stem and leaf, I was clueless.  So I went to my new favorite site, knittinghelp.com, where I was able to watch video tutorials and learn how to finish the hat.  (By the way, I should mention that Lacey does not like wearing hats, and will not wear this one.  But I guess that's okay, because the yarn was cheap and I really started this project to learn new techniques.  And that's just what I've done.)

And now I guess I've caught the knitting bug.  Right now, I'm working on making Christmas gifts this year.  And I really really want to gush about the projects on here (and on facebook), but I can't ruin the surprise, now can I?  I'm super-excited about it, and I can't wait to show off what I've been working on!

1 comment:

  1. LOve the hate Katie, you did a great job!

    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete